The actual Proton Beam Therapy appointment only takes about 30 minutes to an hour from the time of registration to treatment to leaving the center. However, patients need this treatment almost daily over the course of six to eight weeks. This means that patients staying at the Proton Therapy Center will have many hours of free time while not in treatment to participate in other activities of daily living. This situation was taken into consideration in the design and development of features that will be available at the Hospitality House.
• 30 guest rooms. (These rooms may include two double-beds, sitting area, private bathroom, clothes closet, credenza, flat-screen TV, desk, internet access, small refrigerator, pantry and telephones with personalized voicemail service)
• Large Gathering Room. Designed for relaxing and socializing, this room could offer a large wide-screen TV, fireplace and sitting area, piano and other amenities
• Reflection room to provide a non-denominational setting for quiet reflection as well as a sacred place for prayer services
• Food Preparation Areas featuring fully-equipped kitchens for guests who would like to make their own meals
• Dining Room for daily meals and conversation with fellow guests
• Library with books appropriate for every age as well as a quiet space for those seeking solitude
• Exercise Facility and access to Outdoor Walking Trail for guests interested in maintaining their physical activity
• Laundry Room with washers, dryers, irons and ironing boards
• Playroom geared toward family-friendly fun with toys, video games, children’s books, TV and DVD
• Activities room for specialized therapies, including art therapy, yoga, massage, and other services
• Front Lobby with conversational seating and other features to makes guests feel welcome
• A multi-purpose and conference room (capacity 150 – 200), which can be divided into three smaller conference rooms. These rooms will accommodate education and training programs for physicians as well as educational programs and support groups for patients and caregivers.
• Schedule of Daily Events, Special Trips and other Entertainment including outings to Flint-area attractions (Flint Institute of Arts, Whiting Auditorium, Children’s Museum, Sloan Museum, etc.), information on area restaurants, golf courses, swimming pools, and more.
• Outdoor Playground featuring multi-use equipment for children’s activities
• Deck (or patio) and Gazebo for a gathering area on fair weather days. Grills available to guests.
•RV area with capacity for 4 – 5 RVs
In an effort to provide high quality service while maintaining costs, McLaren is currently exploring a collaboration with the Hospitality Administration Program at Central Michigan University (CMU). This collaboration would provide patients and families with first-rate quality and service while giving students a real-life career experience. The CMU faculty is working with McLaren to define the standards and service expectations the students will need to achieve while creating a healing and caring atmosphere patients and caregivers will value during their stay.
Trained volunteers will further augment staffing services to meet the needs of patients and their family.